Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Thursday 22 April 2010

Farewell old friend

Several years ago I did work experience and trained at a Classical Stud in Manchester. There were over 30 stallions and various youngstock and broodmares of Iberian breeding (including Lusitano and Andalusian) but there was also Friesians, Morgans, various breeds of Arab and Lippizzaners. All the stallions were trained in Classical High School, Circus and Liberty and many performed at demonstrations and events throughout the UK. I heard today that one of the stallions, a magnificent black Lusitano was put to sleep at a grand old age. His legacy will live on in the offspring he sired over the years, many of which are exceptional dressage horses, but many also went on to become successful sports horses. He has three foals due this year. This particular horse holds a very special place in my heart. I hope he is galloping free over the Rainbow Bridge to pastures new.

My time at the stud was magical. It was on the Lusitano that I first experienced the true movements of high school. He was trained to piaffe, passage, ballotade, capriole, levade, etc all of which were effortless for him. I still remember exactly how I felt the first time I sat on him. I won't say I was riding him as he performed these movements on cue and I was just a passenger. I knew even then that being on this horse was a once in a life time experience. The owners of the stud were fantastic. They encouraged and enabled me to ride their amazing horses and their trainer gave me lessons on the various stallions several times a day ridden and from the ground. I rode the Lusitano almost every day I was there. It was an absolute privilege to work beside these amazing and beautiful horses. Their manners, attitude, power and elegance was simply breath taking. The earliest surviving work on many of the principles of classical dressage emphasised training through kindness and reward. These stallions were so proud and they wanted to work. I cherish my time spent there and everything that I learned influenced the way I rode and handled horses following this. I have decided to integrate a little Liberty work to Wolfie. It's something I've thought of doing often, but something else has always taken presedence. However, I think now is as good a time as any, as with the longer days, even if I ride Wolfie, I can always come back later in the evning and do a little Liberty work. I really think it will benefit us both. I am going to get Carolyn Resnick's book, Naked Liberty.

I have also decided to try a little clicker training with Buttons. It's something I have never done before, so it will be a learning curve for us both, but could be good fun. They use clicker training to train assistance horses for the blind in America. I don't know how much of an assistance Buttons would be, but he would make a very good pick pocket. He's pretty smart and enjoys any sort of interaction so I think he might quite enjoy it. So for Buttons I'm going to get Clicker Training for your Horse by Alexandra Kurland. I love horse books. Any excuse to buy more.

I didn't ride today.

No comments: