Wolfie the Wonder Horse!

Wolfie the Wonder Horse!
Wolfie, 24/02/08

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Curiousity killed the cat

I hacked Wolfie around the fields on Monday and Tuesday night and he was great. No more bucking or carrying on. Last night when we were out, Wolfie spotted the sheep shearers working further up the hill. He was desperate to go over and see what was happening, thought he might just canter on over there, but he's not fit and the ground is rock solid. We half walked, half bounced our way over to the sheep pens. When Wolfie is like that his enthusiasm is contagious and it's hard not to just join in with him. His interest and inquisitiveness amazes me. We stood and watched the sheep being clipped and Wolfie was mesmerized. He was snorting at the clipped sheep coming down the chute into their pen. One of the clippers came over and gave him a polo, which he promptly spat out as he doesn't like mints. He then got a piece of apple which suited him much better. We then walked back down the fields. I can't get over how impressed I am with the saddle and as the saddler said, it will only get better with use as it beds down and moulds. I didn't ride tonight, gave Wolfie a night off as he'll be ridden Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It was so muggy tonight, I had a headache and the flies were really bad. If Wolfie continues to behave, I will take him along the road and down onto the line on Saturday for a longer hack on the flat. I still would like to know what sort of distance we are covering. My idea about the pedometer didn't work as it makes you program a weight into it and the maximum weight is 120kg. I'll try and get an ordinace survey map of the area and work it out that way.

1 comment:

Helen C said...

Wolfie was supervising the sheep shearing and making sure the appropriate equipment and precautions were being put into effect! He makes me smile.